You guys, how did it become April already? I know time flies when you’re having fun (and sometimes when you’re not having fun), but this is ridiculous. We are already over a quarter of the way through 2014!
In January I made some pretty crazy reading resolutions for this year. I’m not sure if I’m going to complete all of them, but I thought I would write a quick post to check in and see how I’m doing.
1. Read 110 Books. I set this one on goodreads after seeing that I read 109 books in 2013. I’m already behind though, so I’m getting a little nervous.
This was a huge mistake. I keep getting really behind then stay up all night reading because I am anxious about how behind I am. Still, in anticipation of this post I got back on track to win by reading 28 books so far this year.
2. My sister and I both agreed to read ANNA KARENINA, DON QUIXOTE, and THE CORRECTIONS this year.
I have finished Anna Karenina, and it was pretty fantastic. The other’s are still on my to-read list.
3. I also hope to read THE HOUSE OF MIRTH, ATLAS SHRUGGED, and ABSALOM, ABSALOM.
I haven’t touched any of these yet…
4. Read more debut authors and get more advance copies to review from publishers.
Not doing great on reading debut authors, but did get two review copies of books so far this year. Now I just need to get more comfortable using NetGalley.
5. Begin querying my manuscript.
Don’t want to talk too much about this, but yes, I’ve begun querying my novel.
6. Fast draft a first draft of a new novel.
Have been focusing a lot more on outlining this time, but I think I will have a new manuscript by the end of the year. At least I hope so!
7. Read at least three young adult LGBT books for the 2014 LGTB Challenge hosted byA Novel Challenge.
8. Read at least three banned books for the Buckling Bookshelves 2014 Banned Books Challenge.
I finally got around to reading THE GOLDEN COMPASS, by Philip Pullman a book I decided was too confusing to finish in the 5th grade.
9. Read at least three speculative fiction books by and about persons of color for the Dusky Literati 2014 PoC Speculative Fiction Challenge.
I haven’t reviewed this yet, but UNWIND, by Neal Shusterman was one of my favorite books I’ve read so far this year. I’m also excited to read CROSSROADS, by Mary Ting.
10. Begin an MFA creative writing program in the fall.
Don’t want to talk too much about this yet either, because I’m still hammering out details. But yeah, this is going to happen. I couldn’t be more excited about it! More details to come soon!
How are you doing on your New Years Resolutions? What have been some of your favorite books you’ve read so far this year?