I feel like my resolutions are getting boring because they are almost always pretty similar. Here are a few (not quite ten) reading and writing goals I have for the year. Let me know yours in the comments so we can cheer each other on!
- Read 100 books (if I don’t list it I won’t do it).
- Read diversely. This means race, religion, mental health, nationality, ability, body type, sexuality and sexual orientation, and the many other ways it is beneficial to read and support books with diverse authors and diverse characters.
- Read debut fiction and new releases.
- Read House of Mirth, by Edith Wharton. It’s been a goal since 2008 – hopefully 2016 is the year.
- Complete a draft of a novel that is ready to be queried (and query it). Thesis semester, I’m looking at you.
- Complete a first draft of another project. If the only thing I can control about this process is the writing, I want a back up project going to keep the pressure lower on whatever I’m querying.
- Graduate my MFA program. (Hopefully this one won’t be too hard).
- Take advantage of all the readings and networking opportunities and panels that I have because I live in New York.
- Keep poetry a part of my life.
Thanks to The Broke and the Bookish for hosting this weekly book meme and happy, happy New Year!