Hi friends. Congratulations on making it through the week. I don’t know if it makes sense to write about good things during a week where so much made me feel sad and angry and scared. Separating the personal from the political is a privilege not everyone has. I’m trying to pay attention. But I’m also reading more than ever, retreating into my writing, spending time with friends, and trying to be a good teacher. So yeah, here are some things that made me smile this week:
- ALA Youth Media Awards! So excited that John Lewis’s March Book Three received further recognition this year by winning the Printz. Also pumped that Scythe and The Sun Is Also a Star were honor books. And I love, love, loved the news that young adult goddess Sarah Dessen won the Margaret A. Edwards Award – an honor that recognizes a YA author’s body of work rather than a single book. I was so excited about it that I wrote this post for Book Riot. Seriously thrilled by the news.
- Also Sarah Dessen tweeted at me.
- I’m reading up a storm and enjoying so many books. I’ve sped through The Summer of Chasing Mermaids, by Sarah Ockler, Since You Asked, by Maurene Goo, On Beauty, by Zadie Smith, and We Are Still Tornadoes, by Michael Kun and Susan Mullen. I’m hoping to post some reviews soon!
- Teen Vogue! Meriam-Webster’s Twitter account! Rogue National Parks!
- I’m still feeling really buoyed by last Saturday’s march. I posted about my favorite signs, but loved looking through BuzzFeed’s collection of 61 signs and this collection of photos of black women marching.